Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A memory that still makes Us Laugh

One of the questions in out adoption profile asks us about the memory that still makes me laugh. Brett tells of the story of the flaming Thanksgiving Turkey. There was not enough space to write the whole story, so I'm going to finnish the story on our blog:

A few years ago, we were in charge of bringing the turkey for thanksgiving dinner. We had recently purchased a new bbq that had a rotisserie attachment. We heard that rotisserie turkey is really good so we set up the attachment and started cooking the turkey. Things were going great. Brett's Brothers called and were going clay pigeon shooting and wanted him to go with them. I said go ahead, have a fun time. We were expecting family to stay with us for the holiday, so I was making beds and getting things ready for them. I remember vacuuming and remembered TURKEY. I glanced over at the window and saw FLAMES. I grabbed my phone called Brett (thankful that he had service) "It's on FIRE" he said "What's on Fire?" I said "The, The, The TURKEY"! He said "Put it out" the first thing that came to my mind was the fire extinguisher I ran to get it and Brett said "Not the fire extinguisher! It will ruin the bbq. Put it out with water." He said he was going to call his Cousin (who was across the street) to come and help me. I started looking for something to put the fire out. The only thing I could find at that time was an eight oz cup. The flames were so high. How many trips to the sink is it going to take me. I filled the first cup, by the time I got to the bbq I had about 4 oz left in the cup, threw the water on the turkey and the fire went out. The funniest part about the story is my Mother In Law decided that morning that she would also make a turkey. She cooked it in her slow cooker and forgot to turn the dial on. So with two turkeys one scorched and one raw, we pulled back the burnt pieces of the turkey and ate what was underneath. At the end of the day we had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, memories and I never have to bring the turkey again! ;)

Today I am thankful that it didn't ruin the bbq.

No comments: