Friday, August 5, 2011

Resume - ALASKA

Forget San Francisco....
I left my heart in Alaska.


We arrived in Anchorage and drove down the Keni Peninsula and headed to Homer. It is a four hour drive full of the most beautiful, breathtaking scenery.

Homer is our home away from home and it is absolutely beautiful. Once we got to Homer we headed to the grocery store, got some groceries for our trip and headed to the boat harbor. We actually spend our time in Halibut Cove, which is a short boat ride from Homer. It's a lot like the movie The Proposal.

Here we are at the boat harbor waiting for our boat to arrive.
This is where we stayed. Our friend owns these cabins an we stayed in the cabin (aka The Penthouse) just right of the Huge house. The PentHouse is my favorite. It is so cozy and sweet.
I really think this is MY favorite place in the world. The marine life there is incredible. It is very common to see otters and seals swimming in the cove. When the tide is low you can see star fish, anemones and all kinds of life.
Then there is the Alaskan State Flower.
The Forget Me Not
I absolutely love this flower. I love how petite and beautiful they are. I also Love the name.
and then I discovered this beauty
Can you tell I love the color Blue?

Another reason why i love this place is this......

Need I say More???

We spent many days on boat rides around the cove. We saw more otters, seals and even saw a porpoise.

One day we went for an ATV ride.
It was fun..... But I spent the entire time worrying that we would run into a hungry BEAR. My Dear Husband spent quite a while convincing me otherwise. The views are even more spectacular from up here

We went into town a few times. Once we ran into this....

It was so much fun seeing an otter this close. She was taking a nap. Otters are my favorite.

Ethan was a great Deck Hand on the boat this year. He loved pulling the ropes in the boat.
Isn't He cute???

We even saw a Seal
Brett is WAY more brave than I
Then on another one of our trips to town. This GIGANTIC Seal. I'm usually ok when we see a seal. I get excited to see them. AS LONG AS THEY ARE WITHIN A SAFE DISTANCE. They really scare me up close. This one was just past our slip (a slip is where you park your boat). We would have had to jump over this seal. Since we were just making a quick stop, I begged Gene to park the boat in a different slip so I wouldn't pee my pants. :) I KNOW... I'm a Scaredy Cat.

Ethan got a terrible bump on his head.
It sounded a little like
I Gotta go Potty just before bed.... Bang.
I guess the Dr was right when he said...
"NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPIN ON THE BED"

He discovered his new love for Nutella


We had a fantastic trip. Although my Dad would beg to differ. We did not drown a single worm. He say's.... "Why did you go to Alaska if you didn't even catch one fish"? Don't get me wrong. We love Halibut and Salmon. We just did not get around to it.

My favorite part of this trip was being able to relax.
I got into the habit of taking naps with Ethan. He would say "You gonna sleep with me Mom"? Now who can say no to that.


Alaska has a huge place in my heart. It always has a way of speaking to me and saying a Beautiful goodbye.
Literally, this was the last picture I took with my camera on our way to the airport.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

um can we come next year? seriously now.

rmt said...

Oh, wow. I can see why you love it there! I would have a hard time leaving too. Great pictures! Ethan is such a cutie. :)

Bemily said...

Call me jealous! You have the best trips!! I agree with Leslie.. are we invited next year? :) ha ha!
And I must say.. Ethan is adorable!