Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Oh Christmas Tree

This year was our FIRST year with a real tree. Honestly it's been about 20 years since I've had a real tree for Christmas. I absolutely thought that artificial tree's were the only way to go and very much enjoyed our artificial christmas tree for years.

Brett's family has always gone the Friday after Thanksgiving to cut down their own Christmas Trees. Me being what I now call, dumb, never gave cutting down our own tree a thought all 10 years of our Marriage. Until.... the year 2011. Brett and I were in Texas the Friday after Thanksgiving Picking up our sweet little Todd. So, Ethan went with Brett's family tree hunting. I remember calling Ethan the night of the Tree Cutting. I asked him if the Tree's smelled good. He said 
"No, They smell Pokey". 
He was getting too close to the tree and it was poking him in the face. 

Last year, November 2012, I was still a little crazy and dumb.... We just went with Brett's family and didn't purchase a tag. I was still convinced that I enjoyed my artificial tree. We had a blast. Ethan rode on the four wheeler with Grandpa the entire time. 


Later... Ethan came to me and said "Mom, I found the most BEAUTIFUL Tree." He took me on a little hike that led me to this tree.
"IT'S ORANGE" He said. :)
I would have given anything for a tag and be able to take this beauty home with us. 
So, We vowed to get a tree tag each year.

THIS YEAR November 2013, we purchased our tag and headed out the Friday after Thanksgiving in search of our very own REAL Christmas Tree. 

 It didn't take us long, but we found her.
ALL 12 FEET 

We ended up cutting an extra 2 feet off and saved the log to burn on Christmas Eve,
She barely fit, even with our vaulted ceiling. I learned a lot about real tree's: The branches could not hold my "Pretty" Ornaments - they were too heavy. So, I headed to the store and bought these ornaments. It did not take long for every ornament placed on the bottom three feet of the tree to move up to higher heights. Todd would not leave them alone. 

My favorite part was the aroma of a real Christmas Tree. My not so favorite part is.... I'm still finding needles and its the end of January :)

Note: I did end up putting up half of my artificial tree, with my pretty ornaments :)
You've got to have a tree in the front window :)



No comments: